|Air Zimbabwe CEO
Edmund Makona is a Zimbabwean aviation expert and consultant and the current Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Air Zimbabwe (Private) Limited starting from the 1st of November 2023.
At the time of his appointment, Makona was the Acting Chief Executive Officer after taking over from Mr. Tafadzwa Zaza.
School / Education
Service / Career
- Makona got into aviation as far back as 1985. He is an aviation consultant with a background in aeronautical engineering.
- He is also a licensed aircraft engineer and an expert in aviation quality, safety, and security.
- He has experience training aircraft engineers and pilots.
- Makona has served as President and Executive Committee Member of the African Airlines (AFRAA).
- He has also worked as a consultant for IATA on different missions involving African airlines.
- In the past, Makona was the CEO of Air Zimbabwe between 2013 and 2016 and successfully relaunched the national airline in 2013. The rapid decline in the Zimbabwean economy between 2000 and 2009 seriously impacted Air Zimbabwe's business and finances culminating in the suspension of operations in 2012/13.
- Currently, he serves as the Ambassador of the Single African Air Transport Market (SAATM) for the African Southern Region as part of the African Union's initiative to liberalise the skies in Africa.
- Edmund Makona Appointed Air Zimbabwe Chief Executive Officer, Pindula News, published: November 13, 2023, retrieved: November 13, 2023